The fog signal building and lighthouse were completed in 1909 and commissioned one year later.
For 59 years, the keepers at Split Rock warned ships away from the rock and treacherous North Shore with its 370,000-candlepower beacon.
The massive installation required the services of 3 full time keepers operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In the early days, the installation was isolated with the lake providing the only access.
Now an historic relic, the photogenic site has become a Minnesota icon.
Back to Top